Monday, September 13, 2010

Walking....GASP!......to the Big Green Combine!

Hey y'all!  Guess what I did today??????  I learned how to drive a tractor AND the COMBINE! 

Now there are not any pictures to actually document this occasion, but I really did do it!  If I had taken my camera out with me, Tall Guy would have thrown it to the moon because, "This is serious business!"   That's ok.  Perhaps the even bigger news is that we are still speaking to each other after a day of lessons and learning.  There was only one moment when Tall Guy just didn't understand that I understood him, but we got past it without someone taking the long walk back to the tractor and auger wagon.  

My accomplishment was that I filled two semi's.  OH!  AND I had to come home and make lunch AND I washed three loads of laundry( One before we left, one as we walked out the door, and the last one right before I left from making lunch)  Get out that Helen Reddy song, "I am Woman!"  or that other one "bring home the bacon and fry it up in the pan")  Also please someone pass me some Advil!  I have a crazy bad head ache!  Probably from all the nervous tension when TG was riding with me!  ACK~!

Now I am home thirty minutes before the kids get home and guess what my big question is????  YEP, the dreaded "What's for Supper?"  I wish we had a Domino's that delivered out here!  Sigh...... Time to go stare in to the fridge to see if anything jumps out at me (not literally I hope!)

OH!  A safety note:  We could see a large amount of smoke to the south of us, and it is apparently a bean field on fire!  NOT GOOD!  Please be careful out there with cigarettes and any other possible fire starters.  A field fire can be a very dangerous and damaging situation.  Let's be care out there, and remember what Smokey the Bear always told us. Only YOU can prevent [any kind] of fire!
Pin It

14 comments:

Prairie Mother said...

Congrats on the big day!! Good luck with dinner, i'm having the same issue after a busy day...and i sure hope no one got hurt in the fire! have a safe harvest!

Patrice said...

Lana,
My hubby only seems to teach me how to drive big pieces of farm equipment when I'm within days of going into labor. I could barely fit behind the wheel the last time. My baby days are over, so I guess I'm off the hook for driving big things!lol

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Lana, you are WOMAN ---SuperWoman...... We do it all, don't we???? We're expected to help the men with 'their' work ---but do they help us with OUR work????? Hmmmmmmmm.... Luckily, I have a hubby who does--and I am spoiled rotten!!!! ha

Congrats on what you did... I would be scared to death!!!

Hope the fire doesn't reach you. It is scary this time of year---and people can be so careless.

Have a great day tomorrow, Super Woman!!!!! ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Cassiopeia said...

Congrats Lana! That's quite an accomplishment. I would be petrified!

I asked my husband to help out yesterday by making lunch - maybe you'll want to serve that for dinner - he boiled KD and added it to tomato soup (because we have way too much tomato soup was the reason he gave for such creativity) and served it with mac and cheese sandwiches slathered with a generous helping of dijon mustard. I got the feeling that he didn't want to do too good a job in case he got asked again!

And Miles To Go... said...

good for you, what an accomplishment! And good tip about the fires. Here in MD it's so dry that they fear brushfires also. I hate it when I'm already tired from the day and still haven't made dinner yet. I'm sure you'll come up with something delicious.

Farmchick said...

That is quite an accomplishment. I understand what you mean about a quick dinner. We have a new pizza place "in town" that will meet you halfway at a church parking lot. Not too bad!

ann said...

Lana
You get to be too good and he will want you too fill in often.
Leah last week had on her Blog that she puts frozen meat in the crock pot. That would make it easier for when we are real busy. I put some meat in the oven on low when I came home because I was the go-fer this afternoon It is ready with potatoes and carrots. When will they quite

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

I'm a terrible tractor driver. I always forget what I've learned before the next time. I need to make a "Katie's Guide" for all the equipment. Because soon, I'd much rather be driving the air conditioned skid loader when we're unloading the turkeys than actually lugging the crates around the 90 degree barn.

BigD said...

Lana, I'd give you a Wonder Woman Award, if I had one!!
I had one of those "what's for dinner" moments last week, after being out-of-town for three straight days and finally getting home at 7:15 PM, after hitting the grocery store. My response? I just yelled, "Kids, come make a peanut butter and jelly! It's time for dinner!"
Does that make me a bad mom or fed-up wife? Or both?
Congrats on your new-found skills and living to blog about it!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

As you can see, we are all VERY impressed by this feat! But now you've raised the bar of our expectations. :-)

Joe said...

Lana, My wife become a stay at home mom when our daughter was born 24 years ago. I've kidded her that now that the daughter is grown I'm going to retire and put her back to work. Your story highlights why I'm just kidding her...she works harder running our home, gardening, yard work etc., etc., etc. than I do at my "real job"!!!! LOL!! Also congrats on adding heavy equipment operator to your resume.

DSKgoatiegal said...

Even though we are strangers, I was sitting here smiling while reading your post feeling so proud! I enjoy reading your farm experiences, it makes me realize there are other women out there that can fill the many roles necessary on a farm....But don't you just hate the what's for supper? after a long hard days work on the farm.

Kate (Southern-Belle-Simple) said...

well look at you miss thing! i wish i were in your neck of the woods to have seen it! i would have taken lots of pics from a distance so your tall guy wouldn't have worried for your distraction. i'm so proud of you! i also would have stuck something wonderful in your fridge so you didn't have to do that dreaded what's for supper dance! you are quite a super hero my dear! xoxo

Low Tide High Style said...

This is such a great post! I learned how to drive on a tractor, but nothing as big as what you are describing! I still drive a big Massey Ferguson to mow the fields, and I love it! I hope the fire that occurred did not ruin the entire bean field!

And thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, I use a simple Canon Rebel XTI (the 10.1 megapixel one).

Have a great day!

Kat :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Real Time Analytics