Monday, February 13, 2012

Finally Paying Off~Linking to AlarmClock Wars' Remodel Monday

Winter has finally decided to make an appearance, and now we can start to appreciate the work we had done to the house this fall.

Our farm house is about 100 years old, and the insulation used back then was/is, well, not quite as durable and insulating as what we decided to use a century later.

FOAM!

This is the west side of our home and an up close view or how the foam covers and insulates everything!  The only caution I can tell you to about using foam is that you should have all your electrical wiring done before you foam.  It's just about impossible to run wires through it once it is set.



We also did the north side,  the first floor anyway.  As you can tell from the picture above, the roof to our front porch slants at a pretty good angle.  The upstairs window to your left is the girls' room, and the slanty part of the roof is where their closet is.  Makes for an interesting storage space.  Our room is on the left side, and we have the same situation: mirror rooms.  Tall Guy can walk in the closet with just a bit of a bend of his neck, but he doesn't venture to the back too often with it's short 3 1/2 back wall!

Here is what we found on the north side:

NO WONDER we have had such a terrible draft coming in from our pocket door!  There was this huge open space, totally uninsulated HOLE between the roof, upstairs walls, and our dining room~!


It ran the length of the house on the north side!


There used to be lovely BIG windows , but they were replaced with smaller ones in a effort to insulate from the north wind (I guess).




After stripping everything down to the lath, we also foamed this side and then resided the whole bottom north and west sides of the house.  I cannot begin to tell you how much I wanted to change the color of our siding, but I was over-ruled.  DRAT!  White is so hard to keep clean in the country, and it really shows fly "spots" in the warm months.  One of these days.........

So now we are enjoying a much less drafty home.  I'm not saying it's 100% air tight, but you really should not have an air tight house.  It needs to breathe and let fresh air in.  Believe me, with the cast of characters around here, much fresh air is let in every day.


Go to Maybeth's blog, Alarmclockwars.blogspot.com , and check out her Monday posts.  She and her husband are remodeling their entire house!

Yeah Marybeth!  I finally created a post so I could share in your fun!  We have at least one more project to do on the house.  In the next couple of years, we will be building a master bedroom on the east side so that the girls can each have her own room.  Ok... and also so I will not have to keep climbing those #$$%$^*((*&!! stairs the rest of my life.  Farm house stairs are a real treat!  Short and steep!  I'm glad to know that I won't have to be hauling myself up and down those many times a day in my 60's and 70's.  Yes, it's good exercise, but carrying laundry baskets up and down can be a bit hazardous to one's health. 

OH!  I forgot!~  I may actually have another project to share with you.....stay tuned.
Pin It

4 comments:

Jen said...

I bet you really appreciate fewer drafts this time of year!!

I admire you guys for doing this yourself. I would have absolutely NO idea where to start.

Lana Wallpe said...

We actually had contractors doing most of the work. We did help when we could, but it was done during harvest so that made it a bit more crazy! I did pull the siding and "sruff" off the south side of the house :-)

DSKgoatiegal said...

Wow, you guys have done some great work on your house! How cold does it typically get up there during the winter? Have a great day and thank you so much for stopping by my blog...I look forward to getting at least one comment ;)

Ashley

The Durrer Family said...

It looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Real Time Analytics